3.03.2011

Food: Let Me Count The Ways

I'm a big fan of food. Big huge fan. Seriously. So I was thinking of all my favorite foods and thought I'd make a list of the 5 best things I've ever eaten. Here they are:

BEST FOODS I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED
5. Mangoes and Coconut Juice in Rio de Janeiro. Paradise in every way.
4. Una Pizza Margherita at the Pizzeria in Firenze at the end of the markets. This eating experience is most enjoyable if you are seated in between Sorella Roper and Sorella Jones.
3. My Mom’s homemade whole wheat bread with homemade strawberry jam (comfort food).
2. Nutella* e bucaneve. I downed embarrassing quantities of this between July 06 and October 07. *Note: Must be Italian Nutella.
1. Dutch oven peach cobbler with homemade ice cream. My aunt and uncle used to make this every fourth of July. The memory still makes my mouth water.

Ahh food. How I love thee. However, just as some foods can leave our minds spinning with the delectable flavors and scrumptious textures, some other foods make me want to cut my tongue off. Here are the worst foods in existence:

WORST FOODS IN EXISTENCE
5. Eggnog. Never tried it, never will. My sensibilities just can’t grasp the appeal of drinking something with the word “nog” in it. It just gets worse when you consider that its primary ingredient is raw eggs.
4. Meatloaf. I’d rather eat grass.
3. That oyster I ate in Chicago. Angie said it best- it’s like snot in your mouth. Also that mussel I tried in Brussels had the same effect. Really, all seafood gives me the creeps.
2. Anything at the MTC. Ugh. Gag me with a spoon. I seriously don’t know how I survived. True story: the elders in my MTC district thought I had an eating disorder because I ate so little. I didn’t have an eating disorder, I just really, really, really, really hated the food. The only reason I didn’t wither away in the dark brown halls of the MTC is thanks to the chaco tacos I got from the vending machines in the basement. (Along the same lines, the Cannon Center at BYU is equally bad. Makes sense, since they’re supplied by the same manufacturer as the MTC.)
1. Chestnuts. Just the smell has the effect of making me severely nauseous. I’d say more, but I might lose my lunch. Shudder.

So what's the best thing you've ever eaten? And where should a lover of all good food go to acquire said best thing you've ever eaten? (Or, what's the worst thing you've ever eaten, and why did you eat it in the first place??)

12 comments:

  1. FOOOOOOOOD.

    Sushi at "Sushi Itto" in Mexico City is the best sushi I've ever had. It is amazing. I almost cry when I think about it.

    Similarly, tacos al pastor at "La Onda" in Mexico City are the most amazing tacos I've ever put in my mouth. SO SO SO delicious.

    I really, really, really hate pork chops. And I used to hate meatloaf until I tried a cajun meatloaf, and I can stomach that, but it's still not a favorite.

    My family's dark chocolate cheesecake is TO DIE FOR.

    Oh, and my grandmother's homemade rolls. I could eat those every day and be amazed every single time by how delicious they are.

    How anybody survives the MTC food is beyond me. That stuff was probably too disgusting for rats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh Bel. You're back. Nice to see you emerge from your work / school totally engrossed life over there. :)

    I love food. These days, the best has been something I have not prepared and that is LOADED with allergens. heh heh. Beyond that, I love...

    homemade jam
    the lobster ravioli and cafe pompeii in the north end in boston
    the mango curry at sweet chili in arlington, ma
    thai lettuce wraps at cheesecake factory
    yellow curry here at thai siam
    cafe rio salads
    the spinach and cheese dip at bugaboo steakhouse in boston
    the shrimp and crab canneloni or the butternut squash ravioli with the roasted beet and arugula salad at biaggi's here in SLC.
    mom's garlic shrimp over rice
    authentic enchiladas verdes (recipe from allrecipes - delicious)
    CHEESE. in any form.


    i could go on and on.

    come to utah soon, wouldja?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh - and i hate pickles, mushrooms, and olives.

    Yep. you heard me. OLIVES. Remember when you hated them too? And then after your mission you ordered that SICKO sandwich from Quiznos at the airport with me? YOU'RE GROSS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bark's comment is laugh-making. :)

    Fave food = Grandma M's sweet potatoes with marshmallows. Could eat it all day long!

    you are a beb.

    peace out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. High on my list is that gelatto that we traipsed down 5th Ave in NY to eat how many times in the basement of the Trump Tower?
    Ever wonder why I make so much ww bread? Can't get enough of it.
    Anything Grandma (Beth) Moorhead made was heavenly.
    Don't judge me. I love crab. I grew up with that as a New Year's Eve Tradition, then gave it up after our first year, when Mike/Dad said, "Having crab on New Year's Eve is sort of like eating liver for Thanksgiving." Celebrating New Year's Eve with my siblings is fabulous because I know we'll have crab!

    Worst foods ever - dill pickles. Yuk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Binz speaking. I usually don't comment, but this was a MUST!!!!!!
    Favorite foods:
    Odwalla Mango Tango juice- heavenly in every way. My record for drinking a whole gallon in the shortest amount of time was 1 day and 1/2!
    Nutella-AMAZING!!!!! Never tried Italian Nutella though. Sorry Bel.
    EVERYTHING at El Torito- BEST RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD!!!!!!! (no argument- if you don't think so, then you're WRONG

    Least Favorite Foods:
    TOMATOES: yuck, yuck yuk yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck Grossest things on the planet!
    most seafood- just the fact that you have to pick out the bones makes me sick]
    MEATLOAF- eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Thats all for today!!
    <3,
    BINZ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog.
    Favorites:
    Raspberries fresh off the vine.
    Lobster - oh yes.
    Cummings Chocolate mints.
    Least Favorite:
    Egg nog and lemon pie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first half of the post had me drooling, and the second half had me in tears because I was laughing so hard. I remember thinking you were going to pass out due to lack of proper nourishment in the MTC, but turns out man can live on chocolate milk and chaco tacos alone. Who knew?
    My faves include fresh pesto, Sorella Benincasa's sugo (she would never fess up with the recipe, but i think it had artichoke hearts), la pizza napoletana, l'insalata caprese, well pretty much anything that is true italian...
    My un- faves: American Cheese squares (what is that made out of any way?)and Mayo

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you are panning all sea food you have clearly not eaten fresh boiled lobster.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Favorite food:
    Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers from Wendy's. Sad, I know, but I love them!
    Lasagna. Good thing I married someone who served in Italy, even though he has told me of some pretty nasty combinations he ate on his mission and claims he is going to make one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could go for a cheesesteak that was not prepared in Utah right about now.
    I also do not regret having 'Nathan's Famous' hot dogs for my 14th birthday party instead of pizza. And speaking of hot dogs, the polish johns at J Dawg's are both awesome and filling.

    On a healthier note, I love dinner. My favorites recently have all taken place in Cottonwood Heights, and for several years before that I could always count on Mom to serve something delicious.

    Top 2 favorite food genres would probably be Mexican and Haitian.

    Least favorite food: Pigs' feet. Don't try it. I've had pigs' feet, gizzard, and cow stomach all within a couple days of each other, and nothing really compares.

    ReplyDelete