2.09.2011

Hunger Games: My Cast

What's a sure way to get me to blog ? Make fun of my shampoo. This post exists for the sole reason of replacing my shower as the first thing I see when I open the old bloggity. Take that, world!

Anyway, you may or may not have heard that Hollywood is turning the famous Hunger Games series into films. Supposedly, the first film is going to be released around March 2012. Naturally, this has got me thinking about my ideal cast. I don't know about you, but I have very distinct mental images for each of the characters I read. I haven't really connected with a character until I can figuratively see them. And I'm not just talking about height and hair color- I could tell you exactly what (my version) of a character looks like down to their shoelaces. Seriously. Sometimes I'll meet someone who is the flesh and bones reincarnation of a book character (like the woman who used to be in my ward: She IS Skeeter from The Help.) I don't know where all this ranks on the weirdo scale, but it's the truth. For example, I think Michael Caine is absolutely superb as Thomas Fowler in The Quiet American, and I think Edmund was perfectly cast in the most recent Narnia films. However, Ralph Fiennes is all wrong as Voldemort (not nearly skinny enough). And Michael Gambon is simply an impostor pretending to be Dumbledore.

I tell you this to raise my credibility as a casting director. I hope some of your mental images of the characters from The Hunger Games match mine, but if not, we'll just have to duke it out over a midnight showing of the film. :)

So here you go, my ideal cast of The Hunger Games:

Jonathan Rhys Meyer as Gale.

That guy from Gilmore Girls as Peeta

I couldn't find a perfect Katniss, but this girl is close. Imagine her with dark hair. And less of a smirk..

The chic from Gladiator as Mrs. Everdeen
Elle Fanning as Prim.
Paul Bettany as Darius.
Rachel McAdams as Effie Trinket.
Jude Law as Cinna. Really, Jude Law as anything.
Rue.
Foxface.
Thrash and understudy for Gale.
Glimmer.
District 1 Tribute (Can't remember his name.)
District 2 Tribute.
Other District 2 Tribute

Thoughts?
**Update: I originally omitted President Snow and Haymitch from the list because I couldn't find any actors that suitably fit the role. I'm still having a hard time with it, but here are some options.
Brendan Gleeson as Haymitch.


Okay, hear me out. Whoever plays Pres. Snow has to have very distinctive eyes. Daniel Craig certainly fills that need, but, obviously, he is way too young. So here's my plan: Kidnap Daniel Craig, put him in a time machine that makes him suddenly age 30 years and then pull him out and give him a lot of bad plastic surgery. It would ruin his career as James Bond, but we would have our Snow. It's a flawless plan.

15 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you on Peeta, Cinna, and Effie. Jude Law is EXACTLY how I pictured Cinna. But I picture Gale and Katniss with a darker complexion. Enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I don't even remember half of these characters. Do that many new people show up in the second half of the book, or is my memory that thrashed? Geez.

    I agree on Gale, Katniss, and Prim. But I hate Jude Law with a mad passion, so I am going to go ahead and veto that selection. Unless you're going for an arrogant feminine woman with flappy, saggy butt cheeks. Curse you, Talented Mr. Ripley, for searing that awful image into my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, I like the actor's you've picked. Though I can't say if they match my mental images for the following reason:

    I am the exact opposite when it comes to what I see when I'm reading books. I never see faces, ever. I know we've talked about this a few times, but I don't have a visual memory at all. Everything is spacial for me. So I can tell you the exact layout of Bella Swan's house, but haven't a clue what color Mr Darcy's eyes are.

    I'm that way with real things too. If you ask where someone was standing at a party I can tell you exactly, but ask me what I was wearing at that same party... I'll have no idea.

    Weird huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. TOTALLY AGREE WITH PEETA. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE THAT ONE OUT FOR MONTHS. You just solved it for me! I pictured something different for katness, gale and the guy tribute for district 2, but the rest....it's like you read my mind.... :) You're a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No no no noooo, Mel. Silly Mel. Ellen Page is Katniss. She's perfect.

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mh7w-4HS2fI/R67jmA37tOI/AAAAAAAAAmo/azLQCbl5dZA/s320/ellenpage001.jpg

    SEE?

    Gale- CHECK
    Peeta- NAILED IT
    Prim- excellent
    Darius- Paul Betteny is a brilliant choice
    Effie- I love Rachel McAdams so much I'll give it to you. I was thinking more Kate Hudson or Charlise Theron or someone more obnoxious
    Cinna- Jude is too old for Cinna. I was thinking more a Chad Michael Murray with a curly blonde wig
    Rue- perfect!
    Foxface- also spot on
    Glimmer- perffffffffect

    The rest were good too.

    For President Snow- Bill Nighy could be awesome
    And could we please have Johnny Depp as Haymitch? They'd have to ugly him up and give him more of a paunch but you know he'd play the role perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mere: I agree, the District 12-ites should have a darker complexion. I just figured they could fake-n-bake and coat on the dark make up until their skin tone is right, a la every church movie ever made that takes place in Book of Mormon times.

    Liz: Yeah, all these are from the first book. :) (If you didn't make it to the actual Hunger Games part of the book then you would have missed the introductions of all the other tributes.)

    Thur: Funny how our minds work. That doesn't mean my picks DON'T match your mental images though... :)

    Em: Glad I could oblige. :) I am still torn on Gale too- in my mental image he has more almond shaped eyes and sharper cheekbones, but I adore Jonathan Rhys Meyers, so I went with it.

    Chief: Sorry, I love Ellen Page, but she is more Juno than Katniss to me. I agree that Johnny Depp would act Haymitch perfectly, but don't you think he is too skinny? If they tried to give him a paunch he would just look like a penguin. And, you're probably right that Jude Law is too old for Cinna, but I still think he fits. It was him or Christian Bale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only read the first 2 books and relate more to Heather's comment on fuzzy visuals for book characters, but one blog comment mentioned Christian Bale....that brings up an entire flood of memories from another era! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this post! I absolutley love talking casting and I think you made great picks. That's interesting that you see your characters in such detail when you read. I do have a visual sense of them, but it varies in its detail. Okay, so my thoughts:


    Gale- I'm so, so on this. I think he's a beautiful man, but not quite MANLY enough. Kind of pretty boy for me. In the 'playing Gale' sense.
    Peeta- You really did nail this one. I've been trying to come up with the perfect actor for my beloved Peeta and I love this. Granted, his character in Gilmore Girls (which I followed closely) is WAY different. But I think he could pull off a different type of guy.
    Prim- love it
    Darius- like it
    Effie- do you know that not until people started suggesting Kristin Chenowith (who could probably pull it off) for this role did I realize that I was picturing Effie about 15-20 years older than everyone else? My effie was always between 45-50. Go figure.
    Cinna- I pictured him differently in my mind, but Jude does have the right vibe.
    Rue- perfect!
    Foxface- great choice
    Glimmer- excellent

    For Haymitch, I'm in the Robert Downey Jr. or Hugh Laurie train (though, yes, they are both a little skinny).
    Excellent point about Daniel Craig's eyes.

    I can't wait to see who they choose. I hope they don't mess it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa you are so creative! I could never put all these together and almost all of them are spot on with what I picture too! Especially Peeta, and Gale, and Cinna....and Rue...ok all of them! lol I can't wait for the movie!

    -Allie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liz sent me to this post and I'm so glad because I really enjoyed reading it! What is amazing to me is how close some of your ideas are to mine. I had never considered specific actors, but your Gale, Peeta, and Cinna are exactly what I was picturing. However, I could easily see Jude Law as Haymitch, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know you, but found this post through Bridget. You've nailed almost all of them. Someone said Ellen Paige as Katniss, and I think that is perfect. However for Effie Trinkit, it HAS to be Kristin Chenoweth (did you see her in "You Again"? Ha!
    President Snow: Daniel Craig does have good eyes, but I think that he is just TOO sexy. Even in 30 years, he is just TOO hot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kate: I love talking casting too! Anytime you want to bounce cast ideas off someone, let me know! Also, I agree that Robert Downey Jr. could pull off an excellent Haymitch.

    Allie: Thanks! I can't wait for the movie either. Hope they don't mess it up... :)

    Bridget and Katie: Glad you enjoyed the post! You are welcome anytime. (And, you are definitely right that it would be very hard to erase Daniel Craig's sexy-ness. Maybe we should program the time machine to age him 50 years instead of 30...)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dude. Just saw this on twitter (stop laughing): Lenny Kravitz was cast as Cinna.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant casting! I didn't know the Gilmore Girl's guy from that show... But he is on a great one going on now called "The Good Wife." You should check it out if you are into law dramas... I kinda of love them. And agreed, Jude Law can be whatever he wants and I would pay money to see. Do you love Gattaca?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I realize I am several months behind. And that I've only read the first book and the first chapter of the second book. And that I'm not supposed to be on the internet right now.

    BUT!

    I really want them to find a way to cast Mr. Burns from "The Simpsons" as President Snow. Seriously. I know he's an animated character and all, but I can't help picturing him as I read.

    ReplyDelete