11.03.2011

Picture Book Recommendations

November 2011 has officially been declared picture book month.  I think this is great.  Picture books are often overlooked in favor of their more "mature" counterparts, but they shouldn't be forgotten.  None of us literary omnivores would be who we are today without picture books.  They definitely hold a place on any bookshelf.  To commemorate this oft-overlooked category, I bring you my top ten favorite picture books of all time.  Enjoy.

10. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst.  Because what kid doesn't need to know that they're loved even when they're grumpy?
9. The Legend of Lightning Larry by Aaron Shepard.  Read it with a glass of lemonade.
8. The Mask of the Dancing Princess by Judith Gwyn Brown.  Gypsies, dancing, royalty... what more could a little girl ask for?  (Plus, the illustrations are pretty incredible, especially since kids books usually have more cartoony-type images.)
7. The Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base.  If you have not read this book, DROP EVERYTHING AND READ IT RIGHT NOW.  Interactive reading at its finest.
6. Miss Nelson is Missing by Harry Allard.  Funny and thoughtful for kids and adults.
5. Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson.  This book actually doesn't have a single word in it.  Still, it's one of my favorites.
4. Where's Waldo? by Martin Handford.  Again, no words.  Again, fabulous fun.
3. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak.  Because of the incredible imagination this kind of book endorses.
2. The Monster at the End of This Book by Grover Jon Stone.  I'm pretty sure our childhood copy had pages falling out by the time we were through with this book, we read it so many times. 
1. It's a Tie! The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs and The Frog Prince Continued by Jon Scieszka.  These are my all time favorites from growing up.  I plan on owning everything ever written by Jon Scieszka and/or illustrated by Lane Smith, they're that good.  Don't believe me?  Read it yourself.  I dare you to not fall in love with these books. 

This walk down memory lane has got me feeling suddenly nostalgic.  I sense a re-reading of Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's Magic or Sideways Stories From Wayside School coming on.

What were your favorite picture books when you were a kid?

12 comments:

  1. Hah! GREAT trip down our book-memory lane! I thrilled seeing each one, *especially* 11th Hour, the Mask of the Dancing Princess, Where's Waldo, THE MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS BOOK (all caps = so awesome typing it doesn't do it justice), the Frog Prince Continued.... ok, fine, I love them all. Makes me realize there are a few of these that are not on our shelf yet - ACK! Must run to bookstore right this minute! have a great!
    ps - "Oh, I thought you said leaf race/thief face, etc." Classic!!! Enjoy the Piggle Wiggle for me.
    pss - I would also add Small Pig to your list, if it goes to 11.http://compare.ebay.com/like/150499656914?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Remus Stories! Contrary to what many might say, they are not racist... the tar baby was MADE OF TAR. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I would add "Blueberries for Sal", "Caps For Sale", "The POlar Express" and "Make Way For Ducklings"
    Those were my favorites. This is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have a copy of a "Weekly Reader" picture book that my parents bought for me when I was a child entitled, "The Biggest Bear". It was/is a favorite book of mine. Buying picture books is one of the best parts of being a Grandma! "Goodnight Moon" is another classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recommendations, I'm thinking these would make great Christmas gifts. There are a few I haven't read (or don't remember well) and I am going to put them on hold at the library right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Small Pig has my favorite illustrations ever! I can still the look on Small Pig's face while stuck in the cement, and Mrs. Farmer wildly vacuuming the house, the barnyard, the pigpen... Good memories! Can the list be complete without William Steig. Let's hear it for Dr. DeSoto, Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, and The Amazing Bone. Those books were great reading for adults as well as kids.! Dad wants me to add Socks for Supper. Love em all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was disappointed that you didn't include links with the pictures to amazon.com so I could just buy the books we don't have yet in one click. You should sign up for their affiliate referral program. You could earn money driving traffic to their site. Probably not a lot until you become a famous author, but few cents. Plus you would save your lazy Brother-in-Law from extra copying and pasting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeff, you crack me up. Which don't you have? I'll email you links to the ones you're missing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can just copy and paste. You do so many book reviews I think you should really be an affiliate https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/. Go pro with your blog. Get rich and famous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't forget This Farm is a Mess, Geraldine's Blanket and Ducks on a Bike. We'll put them on your nightstand at TG!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mel, I believe it was your copy of "the true story of the 3 little pigs" that I read, and fell in love with. It's also on my top 10 list. ...along with nearly all of the others.
    Though, I have to correct you on one thing: Harold and the Purple Crayon DOES actually have words. Just not very many. My family still has to make at least 9 pies every Thanksgiving in honor of Harold. (And we joke about inviting a hungry moose and a deserving porcupine to help us eat them.)

    ReplyDelete