12.11.2012

The End Is Near

Starting this Friday, if I haven't already gone into labor, I will be getting the stitches removed and will also officially be off bedrest.  SOUND THE HEAVENLY FREAKING CHORUS.   Mike and I are in full-on countdown mode.  Mike has started repeatedly singing that "One Day More" song from Les Miserables with a few substitute lyrics: "Three more days 'til revolution, they will nip you in the bud..."  It's lovely.  I already have a long To-Do list of things I want done post-bedrest and pre-giving-birth, (depending on our luck that may be a very small window of time, so we'll see how this goes) including Christmas shopping, goody making, Hobbit seeing, closet organizing, Christmas lights viewing, and hiking Ensign Peak.  I refuse to have this baby until I have had at least a day or two to enjoy my new freedom.

What?  I've been a little cooped up lately.

Anyway.

On Bedrest I Have:
-Read 23 books
-Done a fair amount of writing
-Consumed an unknown quantity of Tums
-Watched three seasons of Community
-Had Harry Potter and Star Wars movie marathons
-Had people come visit me from 7 different states
-Sworn off doctors, even while scheduling follow-up appointments
-Watched Mike make an entire Thanksgiving feast for just the two of us, and then gorged down that food like nobody's business.  Seriously, I knew that man could make a killer turkey, but every single dish was heavenly.  I bet you didn't have eleven pounds of turkey per person at your Thanksgiving feast.

Mike and my madre making pie crusts the day before the feast

Cutting into the turkey

After the binge 

-Got a new niece!  Welcome little Ada!
-Played over a thousand games of FreeCell
-Done hours and hours worth of research on cervical incompetence, pregnancy, labor, delivery, recovery, and infant care
-Considered hundreds of potential names for our little squishy
-Failed to find a name that Mike and I can agree on.  Do not be surprised if she ends up being named "kid."
-Never got the hang of swallowing whole cantaloupes prenatal vitamins
-Had a nice no-fuss birthday
-Developed an insatiable appetite for apples and peanut butter
-Threatened to throw all sharp objects within arms reach at the next person who tells me "how nice bedrest must be."


I cannot wait to be done with bedrest.  It's been a loooong and very painful and excessively boring and extremely stressful three months.  I'm so glad that we were able to stay pregnant this long, but I am just as glad that it's almost over.  I am not one of those women who enjoy pregnancy, so it's been kind of an odd experience to severely dislike being pregnant all while dreading the thought of going into labor too soon and not being pregnant.  It's nice to feel like labor is not the enemy anymore.  I realize that giving birth will only mean switching one set of worries and concerns for another, but I'm ready.  Bring it on, fetus.

SPEAKING OF... We are having a kid soon.  How's that for freaky?  It's time for the Birth Guessing Game.

The Birth Guessing Game
Okay, folks.  Please submit your guesses for the following:
1) What day she will be born
2) Her birth height and weight
3) What her name will be (we really could use some input here)

Here are some things to assist you in your guesses:
- The circlage is being removed on Friday 12/14 at 10:15am.
- The average time from removing the circlage to giving birth is 11 days.
- That average includes women who probably never needed the circlage, but had it done as a precautionary measure.  (After all my ultrasounds, we are left with no doubt that I am not one of those women.  I absolutely needed this circlage to keep my baby alive.)
- My doctor thinks it will be only a matter of a few days after the stitches are cut before I go into labor.
- I only have less than 1 centimeter of functional cervix remaining as it is, and for several months now the stitches have been the only thing that has separated her from the outside world.  She will likely be born very soon after the stitches are cut, since there will be nothing left preventing her from being born.
- As previously stated, I refuse to have this baby until I've had a few days of freedom.  You will not win many Mel points if you guess that she will be born immediately after cutting the stitches.
- Mike's goal is to make it to Tuesday 12/18 because on that day she will officially be 37 weeks, making her a full-term baby instead of premature.
-The actual due date isn't until January 8th.

Okay, GO!

20 comments:

  1. YAY! I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS!

    1 - Dec. 19th.
    2 - 7lbs 4oz, 19 inches
    3 - Zara, because I LOVE THAT NAME SO MUCH. If you want, you can feel free to name her Zara Elizabeth Johnson Wilde. You know, two middle names is so hip right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here goes:

    1 - I'm guessing you'll go into labor late on the 16th and she'll be born early on the 17th. (how's that for specific?)

    2 - 6 lbs 2 oz, 18 inches

    3 - I'm guessing that you will name her Alexandria Lynne, because Alex is such a cute name for a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are forbidden to have the baby before Friday night.

    1 - Dec. 24th. (just like Jesus)
    2 - 7lbs 7oz, 17 inches (luck number 7)
    3 - Goffreda Roberta Wilde(http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Italian_for_jeffrey) You speak italian so she should have an Italian name. Also one nice thing about Italian is that by changing the o to an a it's now a female name.
    3b. - If you go into labor while watching the hobbit then you need a good hobbit name like Bilba Baggins Wilde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend just named her baby Eowyn... PLEASE do NOT do this, too! :P

      Delete
  4. YAY! I've been thinking about you and thinking it must be soon. You have the stamina and patience of a saint.

    Okey dokey,
    1. December 18, that's Dorothy's birthday, it's a lovely day to have a baby. Dorothy was born abt 4AM, so I'm going to say that too even though it's not nice to be awake at that time.
    2. 7 lbs even
    3. Eliza Wilde. Eliza is my very favorite name and if we ever decide to risk reproducing again, that is what I would name a baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you--so close!! I'll say 12/18 and 7 pounds 2 ounces. Name...hmmmm....I've always loved Fiona. I'm so glad that our baby 'G' will have a cousin so close in age!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Sunday September 16
    2. 8 lbs 8 oz, 21 inches
    3. Amelia or Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so close! I've always thought bedrest would be really difficult, but it sounds like even though it's been hard, you've handled it like a champ. I hope everything goes well!

    1. Sunday, December 16
    2. 6 lbs. 5 oz.
    3. No idea on the name :) All our kids will be given numbers most likely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wahooodely hoo!

    1. Thursday Dec. 20th.
    2. 6lb 5oz
    3. Amari

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made it! Also, I'm so excited that we might get to see you and this little squishy. Can't even wait. And I can't imagine how hard it has been to be on bed rest for that long. UGH! You are incredible. I would not have been so good about it. You know, if you don't make the hike up Ensign peak before she's born you could always stick her in a moby wrap/carrier and hike it with her...although, that might be pretty cold.

    My guesses are...
    1. December 17th (I'm hoping for this, although I'm sorry, but I really don't have much faith in your cervix right now.)
    2. 6 lbs 3 oz
    3. I was all for Olivia when Mike posted that on FB. Eric thinks that you should name her Olivia and then name her future brother Oscar. It could be cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. December 18, about 4 hours after Mom arrives
    2. 6 lbs 10 oz.
    3. Melissa Jr. I'd be ok with Lisa Jr., too. ...just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guess #2:

    1. December 15, on top of Ensign Peek
    2. 6 lbs even
    3. Ensign, in honor of her birth place ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guess #3:

    1. December 16, as soon as Nana pulls into the hospital parking lot
    2. 7 lbs. 9 oz (like her closest M-head cousin)
    3. Natalie Michaela (after her uncle who will be so proud to be even CLOSER to this niece than he was to the previous one at birth).

    ps - do you want me to keep going here???

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1- Dec 18 after we have made a bazillion treats.
    2- 7lb 4 oz
    3 - Olive Cecelia Wilde. Olive for your new incomprehensible love of olives since your mission (sick), and Cecelia so you can call her CC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. December 27th, my birthday. Okay, just kidding. She'll come on the 19th at 7:33 pm. Or on the 27th.
    2. 7 lbs 1 oz.
    3. Ceecee. Olivia. Charlotte. Clara. Lizzie. Chief. Bean. Nutella. That's beautiful. Pescia. Pescara. Livorno. Leghorn. Bellatrix. Hermione (oh please). Shakespeare... call her Kespy. Ha! That one made me laugh out loud. Maybe you should do a mix of your names. Melissike. Or Miklissa. McLyssa totally sounds like a utard name.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. December 20th
    2. 6lbs even
    3. Eleanor (call her elle if you like) or I'm also really digging marci's suggestion of Olive Cecilia. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, so I'm late in seeing this post. My great-grandma was one of 10 kids. Her youngest sister was called "Baby" for so long that they decided to keep it as her name when the time finally came to decide. Here are my guesses: 1. December 19th 2. 7 lbs 9 oz 3. Elizabeth, Lizzy for short. Lizzy Wilde has a cool ring to it. Good luck! I hope you get to cross a few things off your list before her arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  17. (I would just like to hop on here and second the suggestions of both Elizabeth & Eleanor, possibly for obvious reasons. And also Lizzie Jones' suggestion of a hybrid name: "Mikeawissa Jr." would be FABULOUS.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So happy you made it this far. I think she will be born 12/20 at 12:20 and weight 12 pounds.. just kidding. I think she will be 7 pounds 4 ounces and 20 and one half inches long. Do I get a prize if I am right? Bragging rights, perhaps? Good luck with L&D and enjoy your few days of freedom before she comes. Keep us posted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So happy you made it this far. I think she will be born 12/20 at 12:20 and weight 12 pounds.. just kidding. I think she will be 7 pounds 4 ounces and 20 and one half inches long. Do I get a prize if I am right? Bragging rights, perhaps? Good luck with L&D and enjoy your few days of freedom before she comes. Keep us posted!!!

    ReplyDelete