6.11.2011

DC

Over Memorial Weekend, Mike and I traveled through miles and miles of back country like this:
And through Lima, Ohio (proof below... fellow Gleeks unite!)
And through Pittsburgh (where we got to visit for a bit with our favorite Pittsburgh-ites) until we got to Washington DC! It was fab. We stayed with Mike's sister and fam for a few days, played lots of games, ate lots of really good food, and did a lot of fun touring downtown.


Jefferson Memorial

Lincoln MemorialTickling breakReading breakThere were a LOT of motorcycles in DC. It was pretty entertaining to see the different things written on their leather vests (Masonic symbols, Vietnam/Iraq veterans, "bikers for Jesus," etc.)
Our niece and nephew were good sports as we walked all over the city, always smiling and laughing despite the heat, and always up for a good knock-knock joke.The Supreme Court! So freaking cool.


I love the subway. I know it's weird, considering how dirty and gross it is, but I just have a thing for subways.

On Memorial Day itself we went to Arlington Cemetery. It was really neat to be there on the day we honor those who died for our freedom. We even got to see the 21 gun salute!



Mike ate the Washington Memorial.



The Capitol!

My one request was to go to the Library of Congress. I didn't know Mike took this picture, but I think it pretty well captures my joy/awe. Did you know they have a statue of Shakespeare there?

Not pictured:
--The nasty smell of the lake in the Constitution Gardens
-Our sweat drenched clothes
-Bang!
-The most awesome used bookstore. Of. All. Time.
-Ecuadorian (or was it Salvadorian?) and Thai food
-Potomac River
-Union Station
-Our corny gifts


We had a great time and loved being there. We wish we could have stayed longer! Thanks for letting us come take over your weekend!

3 comments:

  1. DC?!?!? FUN!!!!!!!!! I love the library of congress, too - it is absolutely beautiful. And remember when I had that job interview at the Supreme Court? and YES, it is totally freaking cool!! The Supreme Court, that is. Well, and also that I was flown out to interview there and have a super deluxe tour of the place!! Yeah, that was pretty cool, too, but I was actually just 2nding your comment. Ok, I'm stopping now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Mike growing wings? Tell him those went out of style in the 70s. Seriously... :) LOVE DC. Wish we could go with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's do it again sometime! And again...and again...and again!

    ReplyDelete